19 August 2008

Walking


There's something very organic and good about walking.  It lets you slow down, get down at ground level and see things from a different perspective.  After walking someplace, driving almost seems like a sin... Like you are robbing time by getting from point A to point B so quickly.  With walking, you become a part of every place that you step.  You don't have to worry about other people on the road or road signs or anything.  You can just go at your own pace and enjoy the fact that you are out in nature getting exercise.  
I walked to the post office today.  On the way home I saw some of those pokey weeds that I used to see (and sometimes run into) riding my bike around Spring Creek when I was a kid.  If I had been driving, I never would have noticed.  
I think cars are part of the reason we've become such a consumeristic society.  Think of it... if you had to carry all that crap home, do you think you would ever buy it?  
Sure, I know that cars are a blessing and a necessity, but sometimes I think it's good just to slow down and ponder the world.  We are in such a hurry all the time to get where we're going, and I think it's affecting our social, mental, and spiritual health.  (So maybe I'm going a little bit overboard...)
Anyways, life is good.  
Stop and smell the roses.

1 comment:

Candace said...

OH my goodness celery,
You TOTALLY and compLETELY summed up WHY I love WALKING everywhere at school. You get to know the town so much more, and you see things like that Pokey weed...*remenicse*
good times love good times