07 October 2008

Pet Sins


Everyone has their pet sins - those they would rather hold onto than give up for better things.  I was talking today to a girl I work with who has developed an addiction to coffee in the last couple years.  I commented to her that she should give it up, and she told me that there are some things in life that you want to get rid of or work on, but for her, this is not one of those things.  She said she likes it way too much to give it up.

For some reason, I didn't feel judgmental towards her; it simply made me think about the pet sins that I'm holding onto in my own life; things that I - in one sense - love more than God because I'm not willing to give them up for him.  The first thing that came to my mind is participation in the petty gossip and talking behind people's backs that sometimes happens around me (or that I instigate) and that I sometimes participate in.  I know God isn't pleased when I do this, yet I still continue to do it.  Sometimes it's fun to make fun of people - especially if they are different from you and you feel (hopefully in your subconscious) that you will make yourself seem better by doing it.  

I challenge everyone who is reading this to think of one aspect of their lives that they would like to improve upon, and then do it.  I'm going to strive to stop gossiping.  What are you going to give up in order to know Christ better?

1 comment:

Wiser Family said...

Where do I begin? One thing that I need to work on, and actually was brought up in Conference, is finding joy in the journey. It's so easy to get caught up in the mentality of "Nothing's working well for me, everyone else is so much better" and being miserable. By doing that we are totally ignoring all the blessings Heavenly Father has blessed us with. If we just look around us and start to count our blessings we'll find joy.